Wife, Mom, and Cool Chick
I married my husband, Travis, when I was just nineteen and a sophomore in college. We managed to finish college and have three kids, all in less than seven years. There were bumps along the way, but my husband is my dearest love, and my kids are my sweetest friends.
While Travis and I work in management together at the Texas Renaissance Festival, the largest festival of its kind in the USA, my kids are out chasing their dreams:
Hilary is a budding actress, writer, producer, and comedienne in Los Angeles;
Travis Austin is a bartender and bassist;
Libby is an office assistant, college student, and soon-to-be mother.
Yellow is my favorite color, I love to travel, I love to take photographs, especially of nature and architectural elements, and I have played Renaissance characters from pirate to courtier to fairy. Fairy was my favorite.
Published: “Somewhere Between Manolos and SAS” July, 2018
Official Blogger, Texas Renaissance Festival
I spent 22 years in Texas classrooms, starting in young primary grades and ending up in high school theatre auditoriums. Now, I enjoy teaching as an adjunct professor with the Lone Star College system.
The best part of being a teacher was the relationships I forged with students, several of whom remain dear, precious friends today.
Career highlights include:
- Completed training at UH which included classes in Program Management, Scenic/Costume/and Lighting Design, Acting, and Directing
- Master’s study also included workshops with the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts (London) and the Acting Studio of Chicago, and Lincoln Center
- Awarded the Lynn Murray scholarship for Outstanding Theatre Educator (a Texas statewide award) in 2010
- Theatre Under the Stars Tommy Tunes nominee for Best Costuming, Best Lighting, Best Scenic Design (2011); Best Lighting (2012); Best Lighting, Best Orchestra, Best Direction (2013), Best Scenic, Best Lighting (2014)
- 2012, 2013: three students qualify for Nationals in the Texas Thespians competition, two students qualify for Texas All State Play Cast
Favorite roles have included Chelsea Thayer (On Golden Pond), Lenny (Crimes of the Heart), The Chaperone (Drowsy Chaperone), Muriel (Dirty Rotten Scoundrels), Annie Oakley (Annie Get Your Gun), Jo Galloway (A Few Good Men), Rose Alvarez (Bye Bye Birdie), Sarah (Company), Julie Jordan (Carousel), Nellie Forbush (South Pacific), Miss Mona (Best Little Whorehouse), Sarah Brown (Guys and Dolls), Marian Paroo (The Music Man).
I’ve also had the privilege and joy of choreographing musicals for two local theatre companies.
Here are my two doggos: